Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Killing trees

Usually, I am planting trees, but today I am killing one! This is a eucalyptus tree that we recently cut down, but the stump remains. I don't want to dig it out with the tractor because it is so close to our house foundation.  So, I am going to try to salt it to death. I have heard that if you drill holes into the stump and fill them with salt, the stump will die.  However, eucalyptus stumps are notoriously persistent, so I'm not overly confident.

I drilled five holes around the base of the stumps, each about 1" in diameter, packed them with salt, then added water. Now I suppose I just wait to see if it dies or puts on new growth.  No idea how long that might take, but I will keep you updated!

We have at least 50 other stumps on our property that need to go, but we will just dig most of them out with the tractor.  I'm sure the salt method will take a lot longer than I would like, but in this case I think it was the best way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment